Race Mathews is a Labour Movement historian, a former Federal MP, State MP and Minister, Municipal Councillor and Chief of Staff to Opposition Leaders in the Australian and Victorian Parliaments.
He has written and spoken widely on topics including Mutualism, Distributism, Labour Movement History and Public Policy. His books include:
- Of Labour and Liberty: Distributism in Victoria 1891-1966, Monash University Publishing 2017 (Aust), Notre Dame University Press (US edition) 2018
- Jobs of Our Own: Building a Stakeholder Society, Pluto Press 1999 (Aust) and Comerford and Miller (UK)
- Australia's First Fabians: Middle-Class Radicals, Labour Activists and the Early Labour Movement, Cambridge University Press 1993
- Whitlam Re-visited: Policy Development, Policies and Outcomes, (Edited with Hugh Emy and Owen Hughes) Pluto Press 1992 (Aust)
- Labor's Troubled Times, (With David Burchall) Pluto Press 1991 (Aust)